Thursday, January 28, 2016

Free Pattern: Dog Scarf


The other day I made some quick dog scarves for our dachshund named Harpo. I made them with a channel to slide her collar through and they work so well I decided to offer it up to you. The image below is your pattern piece. Copy, paste it and play around with it's size until you get the 1" scale down in the bottom left to equal 1" when you print it out. 

(Please try to ignore the basic hand drawn nature of the pattern. It would have taken me three times as long to figure out how to draw it up beautifully on the computer than to sew a dozen of the darn things. You get it, right?!?)


You need to cut two pattern pieces -- a front and a back. Place them right sides together and sew along the four sides at a 1/4" seam allowance. If looking at the above image, don't sew along the top most side. Once the other four sides are sewn, turn it right sides out, press it and then serge or zig zag along that open side. Next, fold along fold line and stitch in place creating the channel for the dog collar.



I made four in a matter of minutes. Though this is sized specifically for a small breed like my dachshund, you can easily play with your pattern piece and make any size you want. Obvs.

Now I'm resisting the urge to make all the seasonal, holiday, team sport, etc. scarves that I can think of. Must. Draw. The. Line.

I'd love to know if you make one! Shoot me an email or tag me on social media with #oldredbarncodogscarf if you do.

-dana

3 comments:

Laney said...

Super cute and looks super easy. And yes, I totally get it about the hand drawn pattern vs the computer drawn one!

Joyce said...

Cute idea. My sister has a Dauschund. Looking forward to making Ginger a couple of these

notsoplainjane8808 said...

Love this idea! I forwarded it to my ddil to make some for their new pup!! ��